Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gardening...in the rain?

Who knew that gardening in the rain could be so much fun...once you put raingear on. I'm sure I caught a few strange glimpses through the neighbors' blinds but after 3 trips each to Home Depot and Wal-mart (long story) this is what I ended up with.

Jason and I each got to keep a small portion of our tax refund to spend on whatever we wanted so I chose to spend mine on a) something that will be revealed soon enough on this blog and b) more landscaping. I've wanted to put a small garden on the north side of the house. The previous owner parked a trailer on the side of the house so there was an open patch of soil with no grass growing. This is my first attempt at making a garden from an area of the yard and it will probably take several attempts but here is what I accomplished today in Jason's raingear. It finally stopped pouring right before I finished and placed these flowers in their soon-to-be homes.


I also bought two shepard's hooks
and hanging baskets for them.



I love these pretty purple flowers.








These are called a fuchsia hybrid. They look so bright and
tropical for Kirksville I had to get them...and they are only
part sun so they shouldn't mind the front porch shade. 

I ran out of potting soil so hopefully these herbs won't be
too mad when I replant them in deeper soil tomorrow.
I'm finally going to have flat leaf italian parsley in Kirksville.
Awesome! Plus thyme and sage!




Now for the garden plot we have English daisy.


Yellow celosia


Orange celosia


Salvia

More purple salvia


Yellow Asiatic lily

Coreopsis - Tickseed


Another Asiatic lily called
"Tiny Ghost"...such a beautiful color

Here's my progress so far...wish me luck!
Not sure if this is ending on a happy note but these
two appear to be shacking up in the comfort of our hose.
They've been almost literally attached at the hip about 1 foot
from where they are now all weekend. Sadly, since their
current location was the grave site of a cat-eaten bunny
we are a little worried about their love shack location...
especially if they are sitting on a nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment