Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Table for One?

Can you tell that I took the night off of studying tonight and finally had a few minutes to blog?

Last Friday, Jason was busy with a softball game and picnic. As we are trying to stick to a budget I thought I'd eat dinner at home rather than spend $10 or $15 eating out.

I knew I had a Hormel marinated pork tenderloin in the refrigerator and I thought "Why not? You don't have to only cook tasty meals when your husband can join you!"

So I fired up the gas grill.

I had purchased a fresh pineapple earlier in the week when they were on sale and it was ripening on the counter. I cored the pineapple, sprinkled the chunks with hot chili powder and a teeny dash of salt and tossed it in a grill pan. Then I grilled the mesquite pork tenderloin and the pineapple. To add some vegetables I dug in the freezer and found a Birds Eye Steamfresh Baby Broccoli Blend bag of frozen veggies.  Fresh vegetables would have been great but frozen vegetables are worth their weight when you can toss them in the microwave for 5 minutes and enjoy steamed vegetables without the hassle of washing, chopping, and steaming.


As I was preparing to write this blog I checked out the Birds Eye website and discovered something worth sharing. I know corporations do everyhing they can to get you to keep buying their products. However, this link is worth it, if only for the recipe ideas. Click on this link

http://www.birdseyefoods.com/prod_steamfresh.html and then select the name of a frozen vegetable that you buy or would want a recipe for. Voila! A recipe instantly pops up. They may not be Real Simple or smittenkitchen.com recipes but humor me will ya?
 
So how did I do?

Here is the finished product. Not bad for a table for one huh? Plus we had enough leftovers that Jason and I were able to enjoy it again today for lunch and there is still at least a fourth of the tenderloin left. (If you ever find yourself in a similar predicament check out this recipe: http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/pork-fried-rice-and-vegetables.aspx)

No comments:

Post a Comment